Monday, November 15, 2010

53' Sport Fisherman - Design 357

This interesting design was designed in our "Boston Office" which was a short lived venture with K. Aage Nielsen in charge. She was designed in 1941 and built at the Quincy Adams Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts.

The boat, originally named Saga, was powered by twin GM 6-71s which produced 210hp each for a top speed of 12 knots.

Here is the general arrangement. Note the outside steering station which was no more than a box tacked on to the aft end of the deckhouse.

I like this fairly contemporary image. I can see it was signed by Olin Stephens, most likely at the owner's request.

Principal Dimensions
LOA 53'-2"
LWL 50'-9"
Beam 12'-10"
Draft 3'-7"


  1. Jane & Bob CairlMay 1, 2015 at 4:37 PM

    Actually, your posting is a little off on the engines. SAGA originally had Sterling V-12's in her, then Hall-Scotts after that. She was a pretty fast boat at that time out on Long Island. Her current engines are 671's. She is undergoing a total restoration at this time. Charles Shipman Payson had the boat re-powered with the Hall Scotts. The diesels went in sometime after WWII were she served doing sub patrol with the Coast Guard in Boston Harbor. She was designed originally for Payson who owned the Mets with his wife Joan Whitney Payson.
    My husband & I met Olin Stephens at the S&S weekend held at Mystic Seaport where he graciously signed our photos of SAGA (along with our other S&S Yawl SIMBA) out on Lake Erie which is where she is at this time.

  2. My parents, Oscar and Marjorie McGregor. owned SAGA in the 1970's. they bought her from a live aboard owner at Washington Marina who had died on the boat in the early 70's. They acquired her in very rough shape with a plan to semi-restore and make seaworthy for a post-retirement trip to Florida. They left the Chesapeake Bay in 1974 and headed south, cruising both coasts of Florida for several years before settling on the west coast near Clearwater. They subsequently sold SAGA and the last I heard she was headed to the Great Lakes.

    Robert McGregor, Mt Airy, MD