Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Design 137 - White Cloud


Here's a pretty 60'er named White Cloud. Double click on the attached article from Yachting Magazine from 1937 to learn more about this design.


An interesting detail is the "flexible boom". I have not seen this on any other S&S boat other than Ranger. The boom is very thin and there are spreaders or vee struts port and starboard with a cable system and hand crank. The design allows one to induce curvature into the boom to match the shape of the sail.

Here's a stern shot of Ranger where you can see the system.

And here's a stern view of White Cloud which shows the same boom design at a smaller scale.

Principal Dimensions
LOA 60'-6"
LWL 42'-9"
Beam 13'-1"
Draft 8'-6"

7 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure to skipper White Cloud in the 70s. The best yacht I ever sailed on.
    Captain Denis Oren Pendergrass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is catspaws2@gmail.com We got into a full blown gale heading out of Acapulco Mexico in 1971. She handle like a thoroughbred. Denis Pendergrass

      Delete
  2. My father owned her in the late 70's early 80's Kevin Lynch. Sailed out of Marina Del Rey, California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com/2011/06/white-cloud-chronicles.html

      Delete
    2. I skippered White Cloud for your father during that time. Denis Pendergrass

      Delete
    3. I co-skippered White Cloud in the 1965 Transpac when Dave O Brien owned her.Do you know where she is now? John Slattebo

      Delete
    4. Hi,my dad owned her in the 50"s and 60"s...Dave O'Brien.And all of us who miss her are looking for her.If you know her whereabouts please email me at kayakmermaid@gmail.com...(Windy Garland)(O'Brien)

      Delete