Friday, December 3, 2010

Design 1534 - Diogenes

Diogenes was a cynical philosopher. Interesting. The boat was designed for Avard E. Fuller, son of the founder of the Fuller Brush Company. What strikes me as interesting is that in the "plan description" (see below - double click for bigger view) the designer is identified as "Avard E. Fuller and Sparkman & Stephens, jointly". That leads me to believe the client had a lot of influence on the design you see here.

The boat was built by Abeking & Rasmussen of Germany and launched in 1960. Here are the plans.


  1. Diogenes was featured in the March/April 2000 issue of WoodenBoat magazine’s Save A Classic page. Does anyone know if she was restored.

    I’d be pleased to post a scan of the page.

  2. John,
    Interesting. I am not sure you can post it here. You can sure give it a try. Otherwise please scan and email to me and I will post it. Email:
    P.S. We have no information of her whereabouts or current status.

  3. I sailed on this vessel twice. First time, most of the Caribbean in 1975 getting off in Panama. Years later after she circumnavigated, mostly singlehanded by Gus Wollmar, owner captain, member of the Danish Yacht Club, I spotted her as she pulled into Sausalito, her home port in early 1979. After getting outfitted by Hood with a self furling gib we set sail across the Pacific with no instrumentation except for dead reckoning and noon sights which we were only able to do every couple of weeks. Crew abandoned ship for reasons I won't disclose in Tahiti. Other than rumors, last I have ever heard of her until now. Supposedly bad things happened in New Zealand.

  4. I worked on her with Gus in Sausalito in the fall of '78 at Pelican Harbor. She later departed for the Marquesses and I later heard that was where Gus abandoned the crew. No word since.

    1. My family bought Diogenes from Tabor Academy in Marion, MA in the fall of 1971. In August of 72' we departed from MA and over the course of the next 12 months sailed her from New England, through the Canal, and across the South Pacific as far as The Austral Islands. We raced home by way of the Southern Ocean, transiting from Tubuai to Panama non-stop in 56 days. We lost our mizzen on the passage, and contaminated much of our fresh water due to boarding seas filling the midship cockpit, with seawater backfilling through our tank vents. She was a remarkable vessel, fast and able. In addition to her centerboard she was fitted with trim tabs angling down through the hull on either quarter, which could be hand cranked up and down as needed to address a weather helm or other conditions. Our crew consisted of my parents, five siblings ranging in age from four to sixteen, and a family friend. We sold her to Gus Wollmar in 73' and she circumnavigated at least once while he owned her. I saw the boat and Gus in New Zealand in late 79' or early 80'. She was badly damaged in a storm in Southern New England in the 90's, and languished for some years on the hard. A local shipwright had acquired her with the intention of restoring her, but he died at a fairly young age, hence her "save a classic" status in 2000. I was sad to hear of her untimely demise.