Monday, February 21, 2011

Design 1061 - Fairwyn


This 43' yawl was built for the commodore of the commodore of the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron, one Charles MacCulloch. She was built by James McGruer & Co., Ltd of Scotland and launched in the autumn of 1957.

Here are the plans.


It looks like one, possibly two sisterships were built to this design in Sweden.

Here's an article from Yachting magazine.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 43'-0"
LWL 29'-6"
Beam 11'-9"
Draft 4'-3"
Displacement 22,400 lbs
Ballast 6,800 lbs
Sail Area 847 sq ft

2 comments:

  1. I was interested in your post since I am the owner of Fairwyn, presently in Malta. I have to tell you that the picture you have is not Fairwyn but must be a sistership since Fairwyn has always had a white hull and the masts have always been varnished, not painted. I would be interested in the source of your information (all correct) and your picture.
    Stephen Carlman
    S/V Fairwyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Carlman,
    Thank you for your note. I went back and looked at the photo and you are correct, the photo is inscribed with the name Otais, one of the sisters as you suggest. I also found an old brokerage listing for this boat and it states her original name was Friendship, and that she was built by Tore Holm of Sweden and launched in 1957. When I am back in the office tomorrow I will see if I can find any original images of Fairwyn.
    The source for all of the information posted on this blog comes from the historical files we have in our archives which include photographs, specifications, magazine articles and an old card file which includes all of the boats, their principal dimensions and usually the original owner (and sometimes subsequent owners).
    Best regards,
    Bruce Johnson

    ReplyDelete