Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Design 150 - Elizabeth McCaw


Earlier today we posted about the S&S model collection at St. Francis Yacht Club of San Fransisco. Here's one of the other models, sailing yacht Elizabeth McCaw. She is a fixture of West Coast yachting, and is now called Athene. Built for the tobacco giant R. J. Reynolds, she was built by Henry B. Nevins of City Island, New York and launched in 1937.


Image Courtesy of Benjamin Mendlowitz

Here are the plans.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 63'-4"
LWL 45'-0"
Beam 13'-8"
Draft 8'-0"
Displacement 68,500 lbs
Ballast 24,000 lbs
Sail Area 1,840 sq ft

5 comments:

  1. my father was crew member with rj reynolds on elizabeth mccaw also served on boat when mccaw became coast guard boat cgr 1420 ihave pictures of both and seek more info my email yahoo dlrdave21

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dirdave21,
      I have known of LizzieMac/Athene for 40 + yrs.
      dsw3747392@yahoo.com
      I would love to see more photos.
      David W.

      Delete
  2. Glad to have stumbled onto this site. I was at a dinner and decided to Google the Athene to see if there was a picture of her. To my surprise I ended up here. I am the person in the red and blue jacket in the cockpit. I was honored to have served as crew on this great boat for over 15 years in SFO. I miss her and hope she is doing well in France(that's the last place I saw her).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Athene on San Francisco Bay in 1960 during Jimmie Wilhite's "watch". Jimmie is in the T-shirt, his son Peter at the helm.
    http://tonymindling.phanfare.com/2239507_2417644#imageID=33728392

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm George Williams, Peter Wilhite's roomie at California Maritime Academy, Vallejo. I raced every weekend with the Wilhites or on "Good News", Jack Heddon's 64' yawl. Usually we raced against "Baruna" and "Orient" and raged the waters of the bay. Great sailing on spectacular boats.

      Delete