Friday, March 11, 2011

Design 2481 - Tartan 40


An owner was nice enough to send us this great shot of his Tartan 40. So I thought we would say a few words about the design.

Designed in 1984 the Tartan 40 was the last of a long line of S&S designed Tartans over a 25 year relationship between designer and builder. From this point on all Tartan design was done in house by the builder.

The easiest way to describe this boat is as a cruiser/racer that leans more to the racer side. There is nothing radical about her, but she is fairly powered up. It's a nice boat and well loved by many owners.

Here are the plans.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 40'-3"
LWL 31'-7"
Beam 12'-9"
Draft 4'-9" (shoal keel) 7'-6" (deep keel)
Displacement 17,250 lbs
Ballast 7,600 lbs
Sail Area 727 sq ft

2 comments:

  1. I am a very proud, new owner of hull No. 17. She came with the original owner's Manual! I've only got about 250 miles on her so far but she is sweet! Fast and smooth! I can't wait until Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a very proud, new owner of hull No. 17. She came with the original owner's Manual! I've only got about 250 miles on her so far but she is sweet! Fast and smooth! I can't wait until Spring!!

    ReplyDelete