Monday, March 14, 2011

Image of Design 1812


As a follow up to my posting about Whistler of Paget from Saturday, I did find some good images of the boat. Here's one. Image courtesy of Beken of Cowes, one of the very best marine photographers, from 1965. The image is incorrectly entitled Quest of Paget. Note there is not yet a name on the transom.

Postscript: I stand corrected. I researched this a bit more and in fact two boats were built: Whistler of Paget for De Forest Trimingham and Quest of Paget for his brother, Fenton. There was but 38 lbs difference between the boats. I believe Paget refers to one of the nine parishes of Bermuda, where De Forest Trimingham was a member of Colonial Parliament.

3 comments:

  1. Anders von AschwegeDecember 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM

    The S&S design "Whistler of Paget" is actually a different boat. "*Wizard and Quest of Paget" are two nearly identical sisterships built by Frans Maas in Holland and was German Frers' very first design on his own after leaving Sparkman and Stephens. Quest and Wizard of Paget were built for the 1969 Admirals Cup, and were commissioned by the Trimmingham brothers of Bermuda (as were several other boats with the title "of Paget" in the name, which can be confusing). I think Quest and Wizard of Paget's lines are strongly influenced by the successful 1968 Admirals Cupper "Ragamuffin", which I believe is one of the last designs by Frers while at S&S. My father is the owner of "Quest of Paget", and we sail her out of Nahant, Massachusetts. She is currently on the hard while we are replacing her deck. This is a fantastic website by the way, lots of terrific drawings and history of some of the most beautiful and innovative boats ever designed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Trimingham brothers, Jerry (Fenton) and Shorty (De Forest), owned at least two sets of sister ships named respectively Quest and Whistler of Paget. This pair was built by Wilfred Souter in Cowes, 1965. The construction was cold moulded plywood, and her length was 38'4". The photo is as you say of KB7, Whistler. She was still in Bermuda the last time I saw her. Her sister, originally KB8, now named Shaula, is in Maine. I am the owner. A wonderful boat; pretty, comfortable, well mannered under sail, and fast for her time.

    Several unauthorized fiberglass copies were built in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have included in my previous comment that I was told, I think by Olin Stephens, that Gary Mull drew the lines for these two sloops.

    ReplyDelete