Saturday, May 14, 2011

Design 1742 - Clovelly II


For a company that is known for sailboat design I continue to be amazed by how many motoryachts I find in the archives. Check out this nice looking yacht. She was constructed of wood using typical S&S specifications: white oak for framing, mahogany planking and Everdur fasteners.

Clovelly II was built by Kenneth McAlpine & Son of Shelbourne, Nova Scotia for a Newfoundland resident. I can see in the file he used the boat to run from Newfoundland to Florida each season. The boat was launched in 1964.

She is powered by twin GM - 8V/71 diesels generating 308 hp each for a cruise speed of 12.5 knots. Maximum range at 11.2 knots is 800 nautical miles.

Interestingly the boat is "sheathed" in greenheart. The scientific name for greenheart is lignum vitae, an extremely dense (and heavy) wood used for a variety of uses such as tool making. The purpose was to allow passage through light ice conditions and to allow her to be laid up in the water in Newfoundland without damage. I suspect the greenheart was placed locally to a certain height above (and below) the waterline due to it's heavy weight.

Here are the plans.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 68'-0"
LWL 64'-0"
Beam 17'-0"
Draft 4'-10"
Displacement 87,424 lbs
Ballast 1,500 lbs

5 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across this website. Kenneth MacAlpine was my grandfather, and I used to enjoy hanging around his boatshop in Shelburne, NS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      My family owns one of the sailing sloops (48ft) built by your Grandfather & Son, for over 40 yrs. A sister-sloop is now coming available and I have expressed interest. I am hoping to fill out some of the gaps in the history we have available in provenance & documentation. My email is acvonpfahlenburg@yahoo.ca , your additions in history and/or documentation could prove invaluable.

      Delete
    2. One of your grandfathers boats built in 1953, has been restored and maintained in Port Credit, Ontario. The owner is trying to add to the history of this vessel and seeing as you're related, maybe you might be able to point me in the right direction for photos or a reference. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. My Grandfather, Capt. John C. Davis was skipper of the Clovelly II. She was docked at the Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club and was owned by Newfoundland Businessman Charles R. Bell

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather owned this yacht. An absolutely beautiful boat. I have many fond childhood memories in Conception Bay and other bays, coves, and tickles around the island of Newfoundland.
    Tim Bell

    ReplyDelete