Monday, May 2, 2011

Gulf Stream 42 - Design 1624


In April we posted an article about the Gulfstream 30, design #1147, built by Robert E. Derecktor Shipyard as a "stock" boat. That was 1954. Fast forward to 1961, and Derecktor had begin building boats in aluminum in earnest. Three boats were built to this design; two yawls and a sloop. It's interesting in that the final boat was built 11 years after the first to launch. Please see the "designer's comments" below for a description of this boat.

Here are the plans.


These "designer's comments" were prepared by our office.


And here's an advertisement run by the yard.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 41'-7"
LWL 29'-3"
Beam 11'-0"
Draft 6'-3"
Displacement 18,445 lbs
Ballast 7,000 lbs
Sail Area 784 sq ft

8 comments:

  1. Have any of these survived?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We know of 2 for sure. Sundance who makes her home somewhere in South Carolina and Sonnet which was sold a few years back and shipped from California to Holland where she is undergoing restoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the origional Sundance. She is mothballed in Massachusetts presently.

      Delete
    2. Hey C B,
      I'm Don Class, Clinton Loyd's grandson.

      I would love to keep in touch with you and Sundance.

      I just posted a picture on Google+ of a picure I have here in my office.

      Take care,

      _Don_

      Delete
    3. Hello Don!
      Great to hear from you! (Thanks S&S)
      beldencharles@gmail.com
      843 263 9375

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. We are the proud owners of "Sonnet" - a Gulfstream 42 with sloop rig (probably the only sloop !). She was sailed single handed across the Atlantic by Lydia Bird who wrote a fine novel about her adventure. After her refit we have rechristened her Leto - the Greek Goddess, mother of Apollo and Artemis.
    We were told that in her past she was raced by Bob Derecktor himself, as well as Butch Ulmer, her sailmaker.
    Her present port is Enkhuizen in The Netherlands.
    More details through the Dutch S&S Association.
    Marga & Aart Brutel - Amsterdam - NL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonnet/Leta is a tremendous boat; she and I sailed a total of 10,000+ miles together, and I felt very fortunate when the Brutels bought and restored her.

    I know of one other Gulfstream 42, the yawl Marianne (my understanding was that somewhere between six and nine boats were built, and that Marianne was the first, Sonnet the last); she was berthed in New England when I bought Sonnet in 1992, and I corresponded with her owner, though I don't remember his name. I'll see if I can find our correspondence...

    Lydia Bird, Alameda, CA

    ReplyDelete