Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dolphin 24 - Design 1497


The Dolphin 24 is just a great all around small cruising boat. And she's pretty to boot. Over 300 boats were built during a production run that lasted from 1959 through the early 1970s and built by at least 5 different boat building companies. The Yankee Dolphin, shown here is considered the best of the bunch.

There's a great little website about the boat. Access by clicking here.


Here are the plans.


And an interior image.


Principal Dimensions
LOA 24'-1"
LWL 19'-0"
Beam 7'-8"
Draft 2'-10" (board up) 5'-2" (board down)
Displacement 4,544 lbs
Ballast 1,650 lbs
Sail Area 297 sq ft


7 comments:

  1. I'm restoring Hull #300, Grand Finale, the last Pacific Dolphin off the assembly line. Can't wait to get her back in the water!
    Mike Zint
    Phoenix, AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently purchased Hull #140. Still trying to figure out how to tune the jib with no tracks or blocks. I hate to mess with a proven design, but I'll be adding these promptly...

    Eric Barnett, S/V "Avri Ellis"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful design that when my family outgrew out Montgomery 17, I went looking for the Dolphin 24 that I had grown up on 20 years before. We couldn't buy her, but found beautiful Yankee Yachts hull 197 instead. A fantastic design with such classic lines, a clean stern, and a versatile keel/centerboard. The best of her era, I think.

    Joe
    "Yanqui", Yankee #197

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought Sugar Bear hull #162. I'm sailing it up from Norfolk to Annapolis next week, wish me luck .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made the Norfolk to Annapolis trip in Sugar Bear, earned its keep ran into a real howler on the Bay, gusts over 30k. A bit on the wet side beating windward but the boat held up well. Certainly a not as scary as my Percsion 23 in similar conditions.

      Delete
  5. You should check in with Ron on the dolphin24.org website. Sugar Bear is still listed for sale!

    ReplyDelete