Thursday, August 11, 2011

Design 4 - Salabar and Balkis


Two sisters were built to this design which is referred to in various places as a proposed one design cruising sloop. The boats were built by Minneford's Yacht Yard of City Island, New York and launched in 1930. I sure wish we had an image or two...but alas we don't.

Here is the accommodations plan.


Here is a very rare body plan by Olin J. Stephens himself. Note the date on this drawing: July 24, 1929. Sparkman & Stephens was incorporated on October 28, 1929 so this was when he was a new employee working for Drake Sparkman, yacht broker and not yet a partner (and 21 years old I might add).


Principal Dimensions
LOA 37'-6"
LWL 27'-2"
Beam 8'-5"
Draft 6'-0"
Sail Area 635 sq ft

5 comments:

  1. It's such a pity there aren't any photos.
    Beautifully balanced overhangs, and its interesting to see the hereshoff-style coachroof and windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salabar was my grandfather's boat. He was looking for a new boat and really liked the ideas of this, "young new designer." Many friends tried to dissuade him from going with someone who was unproven. My grandfather loved everything about Salabar but when his third daughter was born (my Mom) his father told him it was time to stay closer to home. It was sold in 1937 and we always figured it was lost in the '38 hurricane. It actually ended up in New Orleans but that is a different story. Last seen American Yacht Club 1963 on a home mooring. I have a picture under sail that I can share.

      Delete
    2. Ha, my dad bought Salabar in New Orleans and sailed it to New York. He was the owner in 1963. I found some old pictures of her, which led me to this search and your comment. Would love to share photos if you're interested. You can contact me at cullynski@gmail.com. Thanks, made my day!

      Delete
  3. I have a set of drawings dated July 18th 1929 of a similar design from S&S. How do I go about posting pictures?

    ReplyDelete