Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, November 21, 2011

Design 260 - U.S. Navy Yawls


I've been trying to figure out what this design, dating back to 1938-'39, is all about. There isn't much in terms of notes in our files. I believe this design was done as part of a "request for proposal" for the United States Naval Academy of Annapolis, Maryland and that we ultimately lost to the Luders Marine Construction Company of Stamford, Connecticut.

What threw me off is that I can usually tell if a design was just a proposal when I only see a very basic set of plans on the plan list such as sail plan and general arrangement. In this case a complete set of plans was prepared including all rigging details, as can be seen on the following plan list. This was probably a requirement of the request for proposal as set forth by the Naval Academy.



Here is the general arrangement plan.


I researching the design I can see that the Luders Marine Construction Company designed a 44' length overall yawl for use as the U.S. Naval Academy's sail training craft, and twelve mahogany yawls were delivered to Annapolis by 1943. I believe that's the commission we lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment